Things To Do In Luquillo Puerto Rico:
If you are visiting Luquillo, Puerto Rico, you know you are in an exceptionally central location. This makes Luquillo ideal for exploring the real Puerto Rico and get a “taste” of a little bit of everything. Luquillo and the surrounding areas will provide you with many unique experiences that you will not want to miss.
Here is a list of 12 things you must do, when staying in Luquillo:
- Walk the beach – let’s face it, there is a reason why the local say: “This is where the sand is”. Luquillo has twelve miles of coastline, which makes it amazing for beach walking. You can walk from beach to beach for miles and enjoy The Enchanted Island of Puerto Rico.
- Hike in El Yunque Rainforest – whether you are an experienced hiker or a novice, El Yunque has great hiking trails for all skill levels. Hike to the La Mina River Falls and take a dip in the cool waters of the waterfall or climb all the way to the top of El Toro – the tallest peak in El Yunque at around 3,500 feet above the sea level.
- Eat at the famous Luquillo Food Kiosks – if you want to experience Puerto Rican cuisine, there is no better place than the Luquillo Food Kiosks. These are open-air restaurants, ranging from expensive sit-down places to good-old street food. You can come back every night of the week and try a different restaurant each time – and why not?
- Go horseback riding at Carabalí – Carabalí has a large, well-maintained stable with horses available for every skill level. Here you can ride a horse through the rainforest and along the Mameyes River. All participants are given lessons in horseback riding and safety.
- Las Paylas – if you are into the “off the beaten path” type of adventure, you will love this local favorite, Las Paylas. It is a river waterfall with four natural water slides you can ride! It is located in the Sabana area of Luquillo and is a rugged, thrill type of experience.
- Rent a Jet Ski for a day – have you always wanted to rent a jet ski but were afraid? No worries – Luquillo has Jet Ski rentals that offer guided tours around the beautiful, coastal reefs. You will find great equipment and patient guides here that make your Jet Ski experience enjoyable and memorable.
- Learn how to surf – you are in an ocean town; why not try something you haven’t done before? Luquillo is home to a nice surf beach that offers great waves for beginners. There are several surf shops that offer lessons and provide great and patient instruction to novices of all ages.
- Visit Old San Juan – only 35 minutes from the Airport and away from big city traffic, Luquillo is a great base for experiencing all Puerto Rico has to offer. This includes visiting the historic Old San Juan with its colonial cobble streets, majestic historic forts, and great shopping and restaurants.
- Go gift shopping – on the way to the rainforest, you will find the small suburb of Palmer, and it offers great gift shopping with quaint souvenir shops, where you can find something to remember your trip by or gifts for the folks back home.
- Ride an ATV – you can sign up for ATV tours in Luquillo that will take you through the rugged terrain at the base of the rainforest, where you will drive across forest trails, rivers, and waterfalls. Your guided rides will even stop for a quick dip in the cool, refreshing waters of Mameyes River.
- Try food on a stick – aka Pinchos or the Puerto Rican street food. You will find Pinchos just about anywhere in Luquillo. It is a kebab-like, delicious meat-on-a-stick treat. The meat is cooked on a barbecue pit and served on a wooden stick. Pinchos can be either beef, port, or chicken (but sometimes you can also find shrimp) and is usually accompanied by a tostone (mashed and fried green plantain patty). Be careful, they’re addicting!!!
- Kayak the Bioluminescent Bay – only 7 miles away, you will find the Las Cabezas de San Juan Nature Preserve and its amazing Laguna Grande bioluminescent bay, where the waters glow at night. Take a nighttime kayak tour past the mangroves and into the bay where you will see the amazing phenomenon of luminescent waters – it is an experience of a lifetime!